Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Film&Fancydancing

I really do love Sherman Alexie. Never has he been a writer who I find myself actively seeking out, but one that steadily appears in and out of my life leaving me with another "this is why I believe in words" moment. The raw truthfulness in within his writing his what I thought shone through the brightest in The Business of Fancydancing; the conviction in his experiences translated into storytelling. I appreciate the authenticity of experience in the film, knowing that Sherman Alexie's words represent real life as a contemporary American Indian. He doesn't stop there. Not only does he speak upon the othering of his culture, but emphasizes the prejudices against homosexuality that are present in our contemporary society.






Evan Adams first impressed me a few years ago the first time I saw Smoke Signals, and I loved watching it again in class. He really shines in The Business of Fancydancing, as he definitely keeps me engaged within the story. I am excited to see a little more of the interaction between Seymour and the Rez; a closer look on how he is perceived after so many years. I came across this review of the film which I really appreciate for its effort to seperate the film into two seperate entities: the film as a creative expression and the film as content. It's praise for Alexie's honesty is what resonates with me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment