Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Values

I really enjoyed our discussion about personal values and how they relate to those in The Sacred Tree, and further, how we can begin to integrate those values into our everyday life. First, it was interesting to hear everyone's different values, because even though it was quick, it gave a glimpse into the what people deem most important to them, and in life. While values such as respect, truthfulness, understanding, and acceptance were frequent among the class, I noticed that there wasn't really a large mention of any nature based values. Even from myself, while I love the outdoors, hike and climb frequently, and have a general appreciation for it, my values weren't directly related with nature. Seeing as The Sacred Tree is heavily based upon nature and living with it and not against it, it got me thinking, what can I do to be more mindful about my appreciation for nature. I suppose instead of merely going on a hike, the next time I do I should stop and smell the pine around me, be still to feel the wind, or simply offer my thanks to the earth for even allowing me to wander upon it. The idea of volition in The Sacred Tree is very important, and if I were to try to integrate anything into my day to day life, I believe it would be that. Volition is the starting point from which we can be led much further, whether it be into a balanced life, a reflective mindset or a state of spiritual growth. Recognizing that we all have the potential to live this way is similar to volition in the sense that it is the stepping stone for further personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment